Thursday, May 28, 2009

Isopod Thursday, "Chuck, Part 3--the Finale"

Hold onto your hats gang, here is the gripping conclusion to the story of Chuck the Lazy Isopod. You're gonna have to click this one to read it. The bigger the comic, the smaller it appears in the blog window...



This little story is true. This particular isopod, Cymothoa exigua, or "Tongue Louse" eats away a fish's tongue and then becomes the tongue. Pretty gross, eh? It's the only case of a parasite that becomes a working part of the host's functioning anatomy.

If you want to learn more (and why wouldn't you?) this Animal Planet article has more info, and some really disgusting photos of the tongue louse in action. Click it if you dare.

One more day in Isopod Week. What will it bring? How could we possibly top the epic of Chuck?

7 comments:

edith said...

Casey and I discussed this: what happens when the louse wants to reproduce? Does it leave? Does the snapper starve to death? What a louse!

Emnia Elf said...

EWWWWWWWWWW!!!! Oh well. It's interesting, and now I can gross my friends out more! Yay!!!!

David Miles said...

Ugh! Gave me chills :). Great story though. I looked forward to reading the comic strip each day!

Q said...

That is impressively disgusting.

Finding My Way said...

I had red snapper for lunch today! Didn't see any isopods, though. The snapper was delicious, I can see why an ipod would want to eat its tongue.

Emnia Elf said...

OH COOL! I looked at the artical, and it's really neat! My bro. and sis. freaked out! I love how they show they lovely fish. (:

Clint C. said...

My word verification says "obpheus" so I'll state the obvious. From now on instead of saying 'cat got your tongue?' it should be said, 'isopod got your tongue?'